Monday, May 29, 2017

The Trailsman 395: BLACK HILLS DEATHBLOW


Black Hills, Dakota Territory, 1860 - where Fargo faces enemies on all sides, and the greediest threat of all may be his allies.

When Skye Fargo receives a desperate request for help from his old friend Colonel Durant, he knows something must be very wrong.  But when the Trailsman learns that the Lakota and Cheyenne nations are being stirred to bloody war against the whites, he must race against time - and a conniving, deadly foe - to stop a slaughter.

Gold prospectors are on the verge of a war with the mighty Sioux when Skye Fargo rides into action, being hired to thwart the oncoming bloodshed.

Skye is teamed with Logan Robinson, a bloodthirsty killer who is a consumptive.  There's an interesting angle to Logan which I won't reveal here, and he's a constant thorn in Skye's side.  Whenever he's not coughing up blood and alerting hostiles to their position, Logan is constantly reminding Skye that he's a killer and will eventually put a bullet into the Trailsman's back.  He makes for an interesting character in the tale, and it kept me very interested to see how Skye would deal with him before the story reached its conclusion.

There's plenty of action in BLACK HILLS DEATHBLOW, with intended assassins gunning for Skye and Logan as they attempt to thwart the oncoming bloodshed.  From bareknuckle fights to hot lead poisoning, this book doesn't shirk away from being a two-fisted tale. 

And yes, where would I be without mentioning the X-rated passages?  Well, if you're looking for hot and steamy sex, you're going to be very disappointed with this outing.  What T&A is evident disappears rapidly within the span of a few paragraphs, and this is so for both sexual interludes.  I know some fans simply bypass the sex, while others desperately look forward to it, so not everyone is going to be happy here.  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it stretched out a bit.  This is an adult oater, so...  The more, the merrier!

I also want to mention one scene that I found humorous.  Skye and Logan come upon a Cheyenne "contrary" warrior in the Black Hills and have a discussion with him.  Logan tosses the Indian a "F you", and the confused warrior is told by a fast-thinking Skye that it's a fond white eyes farewell.  The Cheyenne thus says "F you" to Skye and rides off.  I know, I know.  But it made me chuckle...

The finale of the book is very good as Skye ties up all loose ends, saves the day, and learns a bit more about what made Logan Robinson tick.  It's a neat finale and cool to picture the Trailsman riding off into the sunset.

A few reviewers have remarked that this book is full of too many characters, and that the author takes too much time on unnecessary descriptions.  I have to admit that I didn't have a problem with either, and thought the author did a good darned job.  Whoever was behind the pen made me think of cool autumn days while I was reading as they efficiently put me right into the story.  I don't think you'll have a problem with it, either.

So, to bring this to a close, this is yet another recommended book in the series.  If you like but just one Trailsman title, I see no reason why you won't enjoy this one.

Recommended.  

No comments:

Post a Comment